Meatgistics: Excalibur Guest Appearance, BBQ Pork Shoulder, Meat Hacks at WALTONSINC.COM
Watch Meatgistics EP11: Excalibur Guest Appearance, BBQ Pork Shoulder, Meat Hacks at WALTONSINC.COM
In This Episode
Smokehouse BBQ Rub & Seasoning
Bleu Cheese and Apple Summer Sausage or Snack Stick Seasoning
Totally Bamboo Malibu Groove Cutting Board
Coupons and Savings
Use coupon code MEATGISTICS28 at waltonsinc.com to receive 15% off of all the items featured in this episode. Valid until 11/28/2016.
Subscribe to Meatgistics
Make sure you click that green Watch button on each category on the Meatgistics website, especially the Walton’s Blog section, to be notified of new posts from the community, from Walton’s, when we release new videos, and be the first to know of any giveaways, deals, coupons, and sales we having going on at waltonsinc.com.
Subscribe to WaltonsTV
Go to WaltonsTV and subscribe to stay up to date and be the first to see what’s new with Meatgistics and find news, recipes, and product reviews from Walton’s.
For our new item this week, we have the Excalibur Bleu Cheese and Apple Summer Sausage or Snack Stick Seasoning. The flavor profile in this seasoning is absolutely unbelievably awesome! Be sure and check it out, and use the coupon code MEATGISTICS28 at waltonsinc.com to receive 15% off until November 28th, 2016. Also, try it out with our new Bleu Cheese High Temp Cheese!
For our Product Spotlight, we are focusing on our Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ Rub & Seasoning. Which also leads right into our recipe for the day which is a smoked pork shoulder, using the Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ Rub, and making pulled pork.
For a great way to prepare pulled pork and smoke pork shoulder, follow these quick and easy steps.
- Smother the pork shoulder in mustard. Don’t worry about imparting a mustard flavor to the meat. Mustard will not leave a flavor once you’ve smoked the pork shoulder, and it will really just help us cake on a lot of seasoning and create a bark on the outside of the meat and really seal in the juices for a tastier final product.
- Liberally coat the pork shoulder with Excalibur’s Smokehouse BBQ Rub. We typically use 1 entire seasoning shaker per pork shoulder. Try not to rub and smear the seasoning into the mustard, but just press it on into the mustard and meat.
- Foil tent or wrap the meat and place in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours to allow the flavor to start to penetrate the meat and prepare the outside layer for creating a bark once we smoke it.
- Smoking time! Hold the smokehouse temp at 250 degrees for 8 hours with the meat unwrapped, and place the meat fat side down.
- Start a mop sauce from apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. 3 cups apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of brown sugar.
- After the first 2 hours, you should begin to create a bark and you may begin adding mop sauce and repeat once per hour.
- After 8 hours at 250 degrees, flip the meat fat side up, and cover the pork shoulder. We will then begin to render that fat and let it seep through the whole shoulder imparting the seasoning and fat flavor throughout the meat.
- Bring temperature up to 275 degrees (maybe 300) and cook for an additional 2 hours.
- Pull meat off the smokehouse after 10-12 total hours of cook time and the internal temp has reached 195 degrees.
- To make homemade BBQ Sauce, use a drip pan during smoking to collect the excess fat and mop sauce. Add additional Smokehouse BBQ Seasoning to thicken and create a fantastic homemade sauce.
- Let the meat sit for 30 minutes and re-absorb any juices, then pull the pork, and eat!
Finally, for our Meat Hack today, we are taking a look at using COLD water. Tap water is 56-60 degrees and simply not cold enough to use straight from the tap and put in your brine or seasoning blend when meat is meant to stay as close to 32 degrees as possible during processing. So, instead, put your water in the fridge to chill and cool it down before processing so the water is cooled down and it lets the chlorine in the tap water evaporate and thus you do not add that chlorine to your product.