Cured Sausage: 205 Advanced Thermal Processing

• Yearling

OK, I gave it a try and appears I’m not as smart as I look!! I made three 1 lb batches to try some stuff and did not turn out well. My first time with Carrot Binder, Sure Cure, Hickory Smoke and Chili Dog Seasoning. I usually smoke and this is my first time using the water cook.
    Here’s what I did
    -I made 3- 1 lb batches, all of which contained 1 tbsn & 2 tspn Carrot Binder,
    1/4 tsp (4 oz) Sure Cure Pink
    -All were cooked in water, starting temp around 140 and up to 175.
    -All were tossed into ice water when they reached 160
    -All were done at the same time on the same oven top and heat measured constantly with a digital probe.
    Batch 1. Added 1/2 Tsp Hickory Smoke, 3 oz of water and Callagen Casing.
    Result: Really bad. Casing fell off, what casings stayed on had water in them and when I removed the lose casings, the meat was done on the inside but some had what looked like raw meat next to the casing. After they cooled were really dry and looked bad. Will probably grind and add to chili. Appeared to have spots of grease on the outside.
    Batch 2. Added Chili Dog Seasoning and Callagen casing with 4 oz of water. These appear OK and taste pretty good and casings stayed on. Still kind of dry, but OK
    Batch 3. Added some Summer Sausage Seasoning I had laying around and added per the package for 1#. Also added Hickory Smoke Seasoning and used Mahogany Summer Sausage Casing. The casing is not tight at all, meat loose in the casing. Meat appears to be done, but very tender and very moist.

I suspect the water added and the cooking is the problem. Usually I would just try again, but with the Walton World insight and at the risk of really looking stupid, what happened?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Screamin It sounds like you went right to the water? That would be the issue for sure. Sorry if it wasn’t more clear, what we were referring to was smoking/cooking until the internal temp of the sausage (or really anything else) reaches 130° and THEN finishing it in water. I tested the same thing you did a few times with snack sticks trying to see if I could make it work and I hade the exactl same experience that you did.

Again, sorry if we weren’t more clear on that! So smoke till 130 or so and then finish in water.

• Yearling

Jonathon Not Walton’s fault at all, I have done enough of this that I should have known better. However, I am new to the Meat Binder products. Most recipes and bagged additives advise how much water to use. If using the Carrot Fiber, do you just use the water is recommended or, given you have the fiber, do you up the water content. If yes, is there a rule of thumb how much?

Screamin I don’t add any extra water to mine. If I am making a cured sausage I go with 2 pints/pounds of water to a 25 lb batch. However, it can hold up to 26 times its weight in water so you could if you wanted to increase your yield or how much moisture was in your sausage. If you are adding carrot fiber you could get away with 3 pints per 25 lb batch but I wouldnt go more than that!

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

Screamin I’ll throw one more out there, I like to mix the spice into the water with a wisk then drizzle onto the meat while it’s mixing. Pepper especially will pick up the water, I don’t want it to drawl moisture out of the meat. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t…just a best practice that works for me. Try it for yourself.

Parksider I’ve said this somewhere else but my grandmother was an all time great cook. Seriously, she was amazing and she taught all the women and the interested men in my extended family how to cook but noone could ever make a recipe EXACTLY like hers. It wasn’t until after she died and we were splitting up her recipe book that we compared notes and realized she gave everyone 90% of her recipes but held stuff back!

That’s what you are reminding me of with this “season the water” comment! Just kidding, sounds good and I shall try that on my next batch of whatever I am making!

• Yearling

Thanks for the insight, really appreciate your time and expertise. Going to give it another try asap.

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

Jonathon FYI, I’ve never held back anything or not answered questions about processing…now, maybe I don’t remember to tell you something-may be an effect of the tall, domestic, and light beverage consumption!

• Yearling

Well, I put all my theories aside and did just what you folks suggested. Slow baked in oven, summer sausage seasoning with Waltons Hickory Smoke Seasoning and Carrot fiber. Gradually increased the temp and ended up with my best summer sausage to date. The casing was a little wrinkled, but taste and texture was great. Also did some hot dogs with the Chili Dog seasoning and some Carrot Fiber, another success. The Chili Dog Seasoning is really great. Thank for all the support.

• Team Orange Power User Veteran

What does one do when your bored and it’s too cold outside… Apparently you think about humidity. Decided to try my own wet/dry bulb experiment. Although very crude the results were surprising. Found a how to on this from the UW Madison extension office. Wish I’d copied the link.

IMG_20191220_040552-1075x605.jpg Screenshot_20191220-135857-576x1152.png

Found a psychrometer app to do the math. Lost my slide rule. Was surprised the results were pretty close. Set this up near a humidifier so there was some air movement over it. May try this in the smoker as a test as well.

Now you know what cold weather and a cold beer leads to. 🤔

• Sous Vide

Parksider Lol! the beverage consumtion is half the fun!

PapaSop So, I just saw your post and man does that deserve a round of applause. Have you used that for anything?

• Team Orange Power User Veteran

Jonathon
    Wow. So long ago. Not given it much thought until the recent posts regarding the jerky stuff. Still think about once in awhile. Wisconsin winter’s make you do weird stuff. Humidity is the key! Limited to what us home processers can do. Work in progress.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

PapaSop I would head down to Chippewa Falls to the Leinenkugels brewery and check for free samples, maybe tip a few at their sampling taps. Hopefully they are open during this C-19 season.

YooperDog Leinekugel made a beer at one point tha was an amazing summer drink, something orange but light and refreshing…can’t remember the name of it!

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

Jonathon they make a Summer Shandy and an Orange Shandy. Not sure if they are seasonal

• Jonathon Sorry to get off of the beer topic since it is a great topic as well. I have a full size steam pan that I use for finishing in hot water. I place it across 2 burners on my stove. The problem is that I have to constantly monitor water temp to keep it around 160. Would the Sous Vide heater clamp to a 6" deep steam pan?
    2nd question. Is there any consistency difference in the meat when only going to 130-140 and then straight to a hot water bath? I usually leave summer sausage in the smoker over night (just so I can get some sleep) and then put it in the HWB in the morning. It is usually still in the stall stage and probably has been for several hours. (142) I haven’t had any issues though.
    If I can pull it out when the INT is 130-140 that would save hours.

chrisndee2 no worries! I thought this was my favorite drink topic, so our posts don’t belong, yours does! So, as you can see the HBC (one on the left) has a minimum water level at about 4.25" and the Wesotn has its around 3". The Weston also has a moveable clamp and is significantly cheaper. The downside is that it does not heat as much water as the HBC but you could pretty much by 2 for the price of one of the HBC.

PXL_20210108_200216667.jpg

• Team Blue Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Military Veterans Power User Regular Contributors

chrisndee2 I know this is and older post, but what about and induction cooktop. The one I have has a temperature setting, so to set it at say 176 for 3 hours would solve the temp problem. Just and idea that I haven’t seen posted.

• Sous Vide Canning American BBQ System Team Blue

Tell ya what, I’ll never go back to cooking sticks all the way through with a smoker… love the finished product finishing in water! Even made some amazing dogs this way too and nice tender bite to the skinless dogs! Love it! Just need a bigger smoker now!

• Referenced by  J JohnG5 

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics