Rookie Move & Texture- Bavarian Brat. & Pepperoni Stick

• Not sure if I am not adding enough pork fat or? I made 1/2 Goose, 1/4 Pork Fat & 1/4 Pork Loin. I used Pepperoni seasoning and E citric acid. The flavor is great but dry, crumbling, cakey.

The same with the Bavarian, only with 1/2 lean pork, 1/4 lean beef , 1/4 Pork Fat and Bavarian Seasonings and powdered buttermilk. Thet bavarian recipe I have is not smoked just put in almost boiling water to pre-cook.

Here is the rookie move, I ran out of natural casings and used collogen casings on the last few pounds of the Bavarian. (You all know what probably happend) I heard a pop in the hot water bath opened the lid to find a casing had blown off. So I looked at the other sausages and seen a few air pockets so I stuck one with a steak knife and it blew hot water from my chin to chest. 2nd degree burns. Lesson learned.

Thank You in advance for your response’s. Smart elic responce’s assumed LOL

• Team Orange

We all do stupid things without thinking sometimes. Thanks for sharing so others can learn from your mistake.

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner Veteran

Wow, tuff way to learn,

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics