Country smoked SACK sausage seasoning.

• I grew up in TN, during the winter months we were able to get Country smoked sausage in muslin bags. I have found the bags but am looking for the seasoning either as a recipe or a blended mix. Thanks

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User Kansas

Ted Perry is it a Breakfast sausage seasoning or is it a cured sausage or something? Give us some more information, we have a few Country Breakfast ones in the system from Excalibur. They would be special order though so there would be minimums (probably a case) and a lead time (probably 14 days)

• Yes it is a breakfast sausage not dry cured. Jakes country sausage in Joelton TN produces sausage.

• Regular Contributors

i remember a pork sausage in a cloth sack that had a very thick layer of fat. man, that was a long time ago. couldn’t tell you a thing about the flavor . I just remember that thick layer of fat

• Can’t say that I remember the fat layer but I’m going to figure it out eventually.

• Ted Perry where did you get the bags?

the seasoning mix is a pretty standard breakfast sausage recipe with the addition of pink salt. the unique taste of sack sausage comes from hanging and allowing it to cure before and after smoking.
    there is a recipe online if you google Tennessee sack sausage.

• Vintagechef I found them at a couple of places but dirtcheapcasings.com had them at a good price. You may have to call them I just tried their site and it was under construction.But I came up with a recipe and made 6 pounds last spring it came out pretty close to my memory of what it should be but I got a little heavy handed with the pepper. But the bags worked fine I soaked mine a few minutes before filling and that helped. I filled mine right off the grinder.I think Waltons may have the bags too.

• Ted Perry Any chance you’d be willing to share your copy cat recipe/methods? I found this sausage in a local grocery store and really enjoy it. Price has gone up though so I was thinking of trying to make it and came across this. Also their fat content is pretty high, I was considering using less just to make it a little healthier.

I was thinking of just starting with a basic pork sausage seasoning and then adding curing salt and some hickory smoked powder. Don’t think it will be exactly the same but hoping it would be good enough.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics