• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User Arizona

The more I read, them more I’m leaning to a PID temp controlled chamber with convection recirc fan to ensure even temps throughout, electric and just add an external smoke generator. Probably Bellas cold smoke generator by Smokin It. I need to read more and ask more… but all the smoker needs to do is accurate and even temp control 60 to 180 deg or so, those smoke gens put out good for 8 hrs, plenty enough smoke. Then add some humidifier PID sensor and feed to it. I live in AZ, so not a lot of heat generation needed…
    I just am not finding a commercial ready made one with both humidity and temp, am I missing an obvious one?

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Sous Vide Team Blue Power User

Dave in AZ I use a inkbird to control my smoker. Since the inkbird wiring cant take the 15amp load of the smoker, it controls a relay box. That 20amp relay let’s the outlet connect to the smoker. By putting the temp probe near the heating element I can control temps ± 5degrees. Inkbird also make a humidity controller but with a water pan and chamois rags my Rh seems adequate. Either temp or humid is about 30 bucks on offer up or marketplace.

• Regular Contributors Power User

samspade I am curious about your temp probe location near the element? Have you monitored your chamber temperature with a separate external temp probe at a few locations in the chamber to see how close they are to the set point? I see you are using an ink bird controller. Which one, and is it a PID?
    Dave in AZ I have been sort of thinking about humidity control as well. I am not aware of any off-the-shelf solutions for smokers that out there either.

processhead I use the ITC310C. It’s a 12 time/temp stage unit. So I can set my whole cook up and just walk away.

My masterbuilt draws 15 amps I think and the inkbird can only handle 10-12amps.
    We made box that plugs into the outlet has one 120 receptical on the box, a 20amp rated relay attached to a 20amp rated cord with female plug. The the on/off relay connects to a cord and plug that attaches to the inkbird heating-cooling female plug.

The temp probe goes in the open door and sits very close to the heating element.
    Once the smoker has warmed up (usually 130 to 140) I plug everything together. The pod will turn the element on and off every 1-2 mins as it sees the temp increasing rapidly. Since the element stays warm for a while after it looses power the temp falls slowly until the pid turns back on.
    It works really well.

Oh, when I start I have the smoker directly connected to the wall and turned to about 140. When its warmed up I unplug it and plug everything together.

Temps from both wireless and wired probes show the temps stay close to program you just have to find the sweet spot for the temp prob. To close to the element and it does not get to the desired temp. To far and you get wide swings.

processhead oh the only thing is the temp probe and unit are limited to 225 so higher cooks wont work but it’s great for thing low a slow.

• Iowa Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Green Mountain Grill Power User

Retired157 What is the light bulb for?

• @dennyo The light is (just) a visual confirmation that everything is working. So, when the PID decides that ‘power’ is needed and turns on that power to the heating element of the smoker, the light bulb comes on. Is this really needed… maybe not. I will tell you that after doing this upgrade to my smoker and making my first batch of SS, I found being able to (see) all the parts & pieces as they were working was actually very interesting. Not only could I see how long the PID was directing power to the heating element, I could see ‘how long’ the power was being applied. Would I wire my smoker upgrade this way if I were to do it again… YEP! I really like that visual (understanding) confirmation.

Hope that helps. Just so you know, you do have to separate the two ‘sockets’ of the outlet itself to make this work. My upper socket of the outlet is wired with the PID so as to ONLY have a power supply when the PID itself directs power to the heating element. My lower socket of the outlet is simply ‘powered on’ (constant) when I plug my smoker in.

• Regular Contributors Power User

Retired157 said in Smoker Upgrade!:

@dennyo The light is (just) a visual confirmation that everything is working. So, when the PID decides that ‘power’ is needed and turns on that power to the heating element of the smoker, the light bulb comes on. Is this really needed… maybe not. I will tell you that after doing this upgrade to my smoker and making my first batch of SS, I found being able to (see) all the parts & pieces as they were working was actually very interesting. Not only could I see how long the PID was directing power to the heating element, I could see ‘how long’ the power was being applied. Would I wire my smoker upgrade this way if I were to do it again… YEP! I really like that visual (understanding) confirmation.

Hope that helps. Just so you know, you do have to separate the two ‘sockets’ of the outlet itself to make this work. My upper socket of the outlet is wired with the PID so as to ONLY have a power supply when the PID itself directs power to the heating element. My lower socket of the outlet is simply ‘powered on’ (constant) when I plug my smoker in.

I like some sort of visual indicator on control circuits like this. Sometimes the output LED on the PID controller is enough. It’s really helpful while tuning the PID to see whats going on and for troubleshooting problems.

• Iowa Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Green Mountain Grill Power User

I was thinking that was what it was for, But thought I’d ask.

• processhead It sure helps me… a beginner!

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics