• Team Orange

Ok my fellow meat lovers ,had a major smoker fail last night with 150 lbs of Kielbasa and snack sticks .burner and LP lines froze from negative 17 temperature.the meat got to 140 degree internal temp before smoker failed at 11:30 pm ,put everything in cooler ,I work next three days ,12 hr shifts ,no time off till Monday .
    Will the meat be ok in cooler till Monday morning when I can finish off in oven ???

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

PR butchering I’d say no, how long was it at 140? I don’t even know if you could freeze then thaw it out to redo it. I’d hate to have you toss 150lbs of meat. Could have put it in cooler full of 170* water with Sous vide until it reached the desired IT. Or a roaster oven. Pretty late at night to be doing that but would only take about another hour. I’m gonna tag Austin and Jonathon for you to see if they have a better idea

• Team Orange

Thanks for input T Williams ! Yeah the whole day went wrong ,tried to push to finish .got in over my head on this one …

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

PR butchering I’m trying to be very careful on this one as I don’t want anyone getting sick. Your temp is right there where it could start creating bacteria. But with the cure in it I’m not sure if that would take care of it. My real concern is how warm was the product when you put it in the cooler? And are we talking a plastic cooler or a walk in processing cooler? If it is a plastic sealed cooler I’d be concerned about condensation. With your name I’m assuming you have a big walk in cooler.

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner Veteran

PR butchering ultimately, do what you feel is safe but if you hit 140 internal you might be interested in this chart for meat pasteurization

e05933b8-a7ad-4d7f-af8b-1ca9b7cd5b66-image.png

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

PR butchering That is a sad story for SURE! Do you have any information on the internal temp of the meat as far as how long it stayed at 140? Also, did you add cure to your Kielbasa (I assume you did on the snack sticks) and what was your meat block?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

PR butchering Okay, talked to some of the old timers in commercial sales and the consensus was…there is no consensus! First thing is, Meat Block. It if is Wild Game, toss it. That is going to hurt but not as much as food poisoning! 2nd, like I asked above, any graph data on internal temp would be an enormous help in answering. Figure it hit 140 and then shut off, so it dwelled for a bit at least. Since it was -17 it probably dropped REAL quick but how quick is real quick? Even if it is -17 hangingin in a smoker, that might have taken a bit to cool off. IT at 140 is 12 minutes which really isn’t that long. Lastly, for the Kielbasa I am assuming you are planning on reheating it before you eat it, so make sure it gets reheated past 160.

For the sticks it is a little different. I wouldn’t hand this out to anyone else, this is the type of thing if I chose to assume the risk of eating that would be my choice but I wouldn’t let anyone else eat any of them.

Of course, the quality of the meat is a question too. If they were beef/pork then how good did they look, smell and feel before you processed them? How careful were you with sanitation?

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics