Venison Lebanon Bologna Textile Casing Question?

• Yearling

I’m going to try to make some venison lebanon bologna using textile casings. Would I still need to do a cold water bath after smoking? Do I need to fill the entire casing or can I only fill to a certain length because of height limitations in my smoker?

Thank s for any advice.

• Regular Contributors Power User

Yes, you still want to do a cold water bath. A cold water bath drops the temperature of the cooked sausage and sets the fats and liquids in the warm meat into solids. Generally you want this to happen quickly. Cold water transfers heat faster than cold air, so that is why dipping or showering in cold water is preferred.
    If you have long casing you can cut them down to whatever length works best for you. After you cut them, one end can be tied with string or clipped shut with a hog ring prior to stuffing.

• Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Team Blue

👆🏻 for sure. I always do a cold bath to set everything and it does prevent some of the shrinkage/wrinkling

• I use textile casings for Lebanon Bologna rather than the plastic or fibrous casings. I get a little better smoke flavor with the textile casings. If you are preparing the Lebanon Bologna using the seasoning from Walton’s, prepare the same as you would do summer sausage.

If you are using traditional methods using a fermenting culture and a 48-60 hour low temperature smoke, then you won’t need to finish in a water bath. The traditional method requires the use of a bacterial culture, and also a GOOD pH meter to measure the level to ensure it will be safe to eat. If you don’t have these items or the right equipment to ferment the Lebanon Bologna, stick with the Walton’s seasoning method.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics