How long can I hold snack sticks

• Yearling

I made some snack sticks today using ECA, and carrot fiber. I just finished stuffing when I had to leave for a family Illness, and had to cover and put sticks in fridge. How long can they stay there without cooking or smoking? May not be able to get to them until tomorrow or maybe Friday.

Thanks all! SF!

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

nicholls47 the sooner the better, hopefully tomorrow. But at this point just do the best you can. Family comes first

• Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Team Blue

If you included cure #1 then I would say that you go have a couple of days but the meat will start turning into a cured product. The problem you have in curing inside a regular fridge (as compared to a dedicated curing chamber) is that you will dehydrate your product too fast. As twilliams mentioned, the sooner the better. I almost forgot, that you don’t have a culture so you may not be able to maintain a product which will acidify enough to kill bad bacteria (conjointly with the cure #1) but if you did the longer you keep it in the fridge the more acidic it will become so your tang would be yuk after you cook it (releasing the ECA)

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics