Sous Vide suggestions and questions- 25lb Batches

• Green Mountain Grill Team Blue

Not trying to beat a dead horse but looking for suggestions on what model Sous Vide everyone is using for bigger batches.

I know some say they can only heat up X amounts of water but what if you start with hot water?

What is everyones cook schedule? Heat in smoker till 130 then finish in Sous Vide to X temp?

Jonathon & Austin will Waltons be carrying any Sous Vide options in the near future?

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

Walton’s has no plan to carry Sous Vide equipment in the near term, they have in the past, but not currently. That decision mainly came down to supply/manufacturer issues, if my memory serves me correctly.

As far a sous vide unit for large quantities I think the Anova Pro is the way to go, it can heat a large amount of water. If you try to use a small unit to maintain a temp on a quantity of water it isnt designed to heat, you will end up burning the unit up early because it’s not designed to work that hard/long, ie it would be running at maximum output constantly. Anova usually has some pretty good sales on thier units arounnd Holidays.

• Team Orange Walton's Employee Admin

Gmoran We don’t have anything imminent to add to our Sous Vide offering. We used to have 3 models, but are currently without a model. We may add a new model again later this year, but I don’t know what and don’t have a timeline right now.

I’ll be interested to see what people chime in with here. Since we are not selling anything currently, I have no preference towards one model or another, and I have been wanting to actually buy a new unit for cooking at home too. I was debating whether I bought something bigger, or just used 2 units together if I needed a larger batch.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

Austin Anova Pro is $400 retail, delayed shipping until April. I looked back at one of my prior post around Black Friday/Christmas they had them 50% off, so $200. They can heat 26 gallons of waters.

For comparison the Joule can heat 10 Gal or water, which I assume would be similar to the capacity of the regular Anova.

• Regular Contributors Team Orange Sous Vide

Tex_77 That is a lot of d**n water!

Austin If I have to buy a new Sous Vide, I would stay with Anova but I’d get one that has wifi capabilities. The unit I have now is bluetooth only and was before wifi was even an option.

HerbcoFood I concur, def. get one with WiFi it gives you a lot of functionality/flexibility that you wouldn’t have without it.

• Team Blue PK100 Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

I have an Anova Precision Cooker (few years old but looks like that current model) and I do 25lb batches. I use a 36 quart marine cooler. To get water to temp I fill to min line with the hottest my tap will do. Then I use an electric kettle to heat up water and dump in a few times till up to temp while Anova is running. It isn’t a very fast process to be ready to sous vide.

Once I start adding sausage I need to remove a good bit of that water due to displacement. And once cooler is full I do have concerns over how well the water is circulating. I’ve been thinking of grabbing a Monoprice sous vide to run on opposite side. You might want to consider a pair of them for yourself.

HerbcoFood To put the 26 gallon of water into perspective think of it like this, the Anova Pro can heat a 100qt cooler filled with water. If you consider cooking 25 pounds of sausage in that same sized cooler, you would take out a significant amount of water, and bring the Anova Pro well within its operational limits.

• Gmoran

Not that I’m any pro at this, but I do a lot of research when I begin a project. I finally settled on the Anova (considered the Cadillac of SV cookers). I was first thinking the ‘Pro’ model but then decided to go with the one step down… both pretty much the same thing except for wattage. The Pro has 1200watts and the one I chose has 1000watts. I am ONLY planning on using it for ‘finishing’ my Summer Sausage and not getting into any ‘full blown’ SV cooking craze, so when starting out with ‘hot water’ already, I figured for the $$$ and what I wanted it for, the Pro was way ‘over-kill’.

I used it here for the first time not but a few weeks back and shared some pics of my ‘success’ story with everyone’s help here on this site. The Anova worked absolutely as expected… No Regrets! I set my temp at 160F and left the SS in for two hours. The SS came out of my smoker at about 145F. I wrapped them tightly with Saran Wrap, set them in my cooler cooker, and let the process go…

Hope that helps you…

• Gmoran

Here’s my cooking schedule…

Cooking-Smoking Schedule…

1 hr @ 115F… Drying Process - Open Vents / Air Flow - No Humidity - Smoke

1 hr @ 125F… Drying Process - Open Vents / Air Flow - No Humidity - Smoke

1 hr @ 125F… Adjusting Vents w/Air Flow - Add Humidity (water & sponges)

1 hr @ 140F… Adjusting Vents w/Air Flow - Add Smoke w/Humidity
    2 ounces of selected wood

2 hrs @ 155F… Adjusting Vents w/Air Flow - Add Smoke w/Humidity
    2 ounces of selected wood
    Start preparing the Sous Vide for cooking - Heating

? Hrs @ 175F… Until Internal Temp of Meat Reaches 150F / Remove to Sous Vide

Sous Vide … @ 160F until Internal temp reaches 158F-160F / Approx. 2 hrs

*Once the Summer Sausage has reached an internal temp of 160F, remove from the Sous Vide and place in an Ice Bath for 30 minutes

*Remove Summer Sausage from Ice Bath and set out at ‘Room Temperature’ for 1 hour

*After 1 hour @ Room Temperature, refrigerate the Summer Sausage ‘Over Night’

*After ‘Refrigeration’… Ready for Vacuum Sealing & Freezing (or eating!)

• Yes… the Anova I bought does have WiFi but I did not use it. I simply plugged it in, manually set the temp, and sat back and had a beer while it worked its magic.

• Regular Contributors Team Orange Sous Vide

Tex_77 Yes.

• Regular Contributors Veteran Cast Iron Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Masterbuilt Team Blue

Tex_77 said in Sous Vide suggestions and questions- 25lb Batches:

HerbcoFood To put the 26 gallon of water into perspective think of it like this, the Anova Pro can heat a 100qt cooler filled with water. If you consider cooking 25 pounds of sausage in that same sized cooler, you would take out a significant amount of water, and bring the Anova Pro well within its operational limits.

Have you modified the Anova pro to fit through the lid of a cooler like that? I’ve been looking at trying it.

Lance not with a Pro but with the regular one, yes. The taller lid on a 100qt cooler mighy call fot just cutting a corner out of the lid vs just cutting a whole in the lid and putting the anova in it.

• For me, I do 10 pounds at a time… I’m a small operator 🙂 so my 48 quart Colman Cooler works perfectly and I the ‘design’ I came up with allows me to set my Anova ‘through’ a hole in the lid and plenty ‘deep’.

Here’s the one think that really stuck with me when I was doing my research… DO NOT ever pull your SV from the water WITHOUT first turning it off. Apparently the circulating pumps of SV will almost immediately fail without water to work/circulate. So, however or whatever you design, just be sure to keep the water well above the ‘MIN’ line and be sure to turn OFF your SV when checking/probing for internal temperatures

• Lance

Don’t know if this helps you, but here is what I did…

8b713516-1274-4654-8396-f19ade05253a-image.png 1643209180532-eb4168fa-8a30-4844-ae43-042801e3bde5-ad058297-362c-4b63-80e5-e920eeadb53a_1_102_o.jpeg

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Sous Vide Team Blue Power User

Austin I agree with Tex_77 the Anova unit I have is the blutooth version. As long as your close it’s fine and you are able to make time and temp changes. But move away and you loose that.

• Regular Contributors Veteran Cast Iron Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Masterbuilt Team Blue

Retired157 That’s what I’ve been looking for. Thanks

• Regular Contributors Veteran Canning Team Blue Power User Sous Vide

My vote is for the Anova pro. Love mine and when they have them for half off, you cant go wrong

• Regular Contributors Veteran Canning Team Blue Power User Sous Vide

One more thing, when you step up to the pro, they are metal, not plastic

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics