My 1st smoked sausages: Hot Smoked Polish

• Cast Iron Canning Green Mountain Grill Team Orange Masterbuilt Power User Military Veterans Regular Contributors Yearling

Dave in AZ Nice looking sausage and a great looking charcuterie.

• Team Blue Power User Veteran Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Military Veterans

Dave in AZ Looks awesome.

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors

Can’t edit after 3 min, so will add a slight correction here after looking at my recipe notes.

1. I ground meat at 6mm. I don’t like the chunks as big as you get with 10mm.
    2. Instead of water, I used pork broth. I had done a pork butt in the instant pot for pulled pork, just browned it then pressure cooked with a quart of water and light salt. So instead of 500 ml water for 5kg meat, I used this pork broth for more flavor. Probably added about 2 t salt from broth, so 1.9% salt instead of 1.8% for the 5kg whole. I still liked the amount of salt, and I could really detect the broth flavor in the sausage, which was nice.
    3. I made 3 different 12 lb batches of sausage that night, so wanted to be able to go to smoker with this 1st batch quickly. So I added a cure accelerant or accelerator, ascorbic acid or vitamin C as it’s commonly called. I used Marianski’s recommended rate of 0.1%, or 1g per kg of meat. That turns out to be one 1000mg tablet (= 1 g), so ground up 5 tablets and added them well after cure during mix of the 5kg meat block. This really fixed my color quickly, nice pink at the 30min mark.
    4. Lastly, instead of just 3.5g grushed garlic per kg of meat, about 1 clove, I added an extra 0.7g (quarter teaspoon) garlic powder, so 1.25 teaspoons total. We really like the more garlic. Applyingnthe old addage that dried spice is about 1/3 weight of equivalent fresh, I guess it was like adding 2.1g more garlic, so 5.6g instead of 3.5g per kg meat. The 5 cloves of garlic sitting next to 11 lbs of meat looked so puny, we put that much on a plate of spaghetti! Very happy with the final taste, well within bounds for polish sausage profile, and would not reduce when I make again.

Everything else was straight from Marianski page 348. Just wanted to add my impressions of the recipe tweaks, in case anyone else is considering similar tweaks.

• Yearling

Looks great! You will definitely appreciate the stuffer. That charcuterie plate image looks like it belongs in a magazine. I used my grinder for years and decided to get a stuffer after my grinder smeared the cheese I added to my sausage. The meat had a lot better consistency using the stuffer and went much quicker.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

Dave in AZ I add additional garlic and try to reduce salt where possible too. Adding broth helps to up the flavor profile. Sounds like you have a solid recipe.

• Team Orange Power User Veteran

Dave in AZ said in My 1st smoked sausages: Hot Smoked Polish:

Can’t edit after 3 min, so will add a slight correction here after looking at my recipe notes.

1. I ground meat at 6mm. I don’t like the chunks as big as you get with 10mm.
    2. Instead of water, I used pork broth. I had done a pork butt in the instant pot for pulled pork, just browned it then pressure cooked with a quart of water and light salt. So instead of 500 ml water for 5kg meat, I used this pork broth for more flavor. Probably added about 2 t salt from broth, so 1.9% salt instead of 1.8% for the 5kg whole. I still liked the amount of salt, and I could really detect the broth flavor in the sausage, which was nice.
    3. I made 3 different 12 lb batches of sausage that night, so wanted to be able to go to smoker with this 1st batch quickly. So I added a cure accelerant or accelerator, ascorbic acid or vitamin C as it’s commonly called. I used Marianski’s recommended rate of 0.1%, or 1g per kg of meat. That turns out to be one 1000mg tablet (= 1 g), so ground up 5 tablets and added them well after cure during mix of the 5kg meat block. This really fixed my color quickly, nice pink at the 30min mark.
    4. Lastly, instead of just 3.5g grushed garlic per kg of meat, about 1 clove, I added an extra 0.7g (quarter teaspoon) garlic powder, so 1.25 teaspoons total. We really like the more garlic. Applyingnthe old addage that dried spice is about 1/3 weight of equivalent fresh, I guess it was like adding 2.1g more garlic, so 5.6g instead of 3.5g per kg meat. The 5 cloves of garlic sitting next to 11 lbs of meat looked so puny, we put that much on a plate of spaghetti! Very happy with the final taste, well within bounds for polish sausage profile, and would not reduce when I make again.

Everything else was straight from Marianski page 348. Just wanted to add my impressions of the recipe tweaks, in case anyone else is considering similar tweaks.

Curious about the “can’t edit after 3 min”. Check out the strikethrough.

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors

Hey PapaSop 😉
    Yah, I tried to improve wording on posts several times now, or add a picture. At 2 min later, it lets me. At 4 min after, it pops up a box that says "You may not edit a post more than 3 minutes after posting’, and refuses to save. 😞
    Test edit… next day. It let me do a diff post 15 min later, how bout this?
    …wierd. it let me. Maybe because I was trying to add photos before?

• Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Team Blue Power User Military Veterans

Dave in AZ huh, I’ve edited a day later. That may be new. That would kill me since I type with my thumbs on the phone and use editing a lot.

• Team Orange Power User Veteran

Dave in AZ
    Interesting!

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User

Dave in AZ looks great 👍

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics