Waltons Complete Turkey Cure Question

• Regular Contributors Power User

I have a product usage question for the Complete Turkey Cure, which I purchase recently and hope to use this Spring.

After reviewing the directions on Meatgistics, I saw what seems to be conflicting information when mixing the cure with water to make the 10% pump brine.
    I am tagging Austin and Jonathon and hoping someone can clarify the directions for me.
    The use of cold phosphate is ignored to keep the discussion of the brine concentration simple.

https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/227/how-to-make-homemade-cured-smoked-turkey-recipe

Under the process paragraph it states:
    “Prepare your injection solution first. For a 15 lb turkey follow these steps for preparing your injection solution. Start with 1.5 lb (24 oz) of cold water. Add 1.2 oz of cold phosphate to water and mix until completely dissolved. Then, mix 1/3 lb cure (5.3 oz) into the water and mix completely until dissolved and adequately dispersed”

If my math is right, this would give a 22% brine solution by weight (5.3 oz / 24 oz)

The general usage directions that follow states: "(general usage - use 1.29 lb of cure to 1 gallon of water for a 10% pump)". This is also the only directions printed on the product packaging.

Again, if my math is correct, these directions would give a 15.5% brine solution by weight (1.29 lbs / 8.3 lbs)

So, can someone tell me which is the correct brine concentration for making a pumping brine? 22% or 15%?

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

processhead I think I’m following your question, and I think you may be missing the important step in Walton’s directions from the page you linked, where you add additional water to the mix to get your brine solution to cover the turkey. I believe Austin refers to it as diluting the mix. I have followed the directions on the page you linked and have had excellent results.

Tex_77 said in Waltons Complete Turkey Cure Question:

processhead I think I’m following your question, and I think you may be missing the important step in Walton’s directions from the page you linked, where you add additional water to the mix to get your brine solution to cover the turkey. I believe Austin refers to it as diluting the mix. I have followed the directions on the page you linked and have had excellent results.

Tex_77 , my question only pertains to the brine mixed for pumping, not the diluted cover brine.

The directions give two different instructions for the pumping or injecting brine. I think if you read it again you will see what I am referring to. The second set of instructions calls it “general usage directions”.
    If you follow the first methods you get a 22% brine solution. If you follow the second one you get a 15.5% brine solution.
    I assume one is correct and the other is not. I just don’t know which one is correct.

See excerpt below:
    "PROCESS
    Two steps. First inject, then soak and brine overnight. This two-step process will help immediately begin to get the cure and seasoning into the turkey meat and then let it sit in a diluted cure solution overnight and let things equilibrate so the cure can adequately penetrate all areas of the turkey meat for a more even application

Prepare your injection solution first. For a 15 lb turkey follow these steps for preparing your injection solution. Start with 1.5 lb (24 oz) of cold water. Add 1.2 oz of cold phosphate to water and mix until completely dissolved. Then, mix 1/3 lb cure (5.3 oz) into the water and mix completely until dissolved and adequately dispersed (general usage - use 1.29 lb of cure to 1 gallon of water for a 10% pump). We recommend making extra of your injection solution, or on a single turkey, just double all the injection ingredients (cure, water, and phosphate) to make twice as much as is needed so you don’t run out during injecting. It’s always better to have a little bit of leftover injection solution. In this case, doubling would mean using 3.0 lb (48 oz) of cold water, 2.4 oz cold phosphate, and 2/3 lb (10.6 oz) of turkey cure.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

processhead Ya, i’m not sure of the answer to your question. When I looked on the conversion spreadsheet, the numbers there work out to 16.15%.

• Team Orange Walton's Employee Admin

processhead Tex_77
    I sent processhead a longer chat with some details, but I do believe we have a slight calculation error on the recipe that was mentioned.
    We will get that updated and the details posted for what is correct.
    We also discussed creating a calculator for these types of things. I think it can be done to where it would take inputs for any type of brining/injecting and give back correct cure and water amounts, ratios used, etc. We’ll try to start working on that in a couple of weeks or so. As soon as we finish the final touches on our current big project, we’ll jump into this one.

Austin It’s probably that common core math that you learned

• Power User

Austin a brine calculator and the conversion chart would be an excellent idea as a feature for a Walton’s app.

• Team Orange Power User Veteran

Tex_77 LOL

PapaSop Tex_77
    Don’t think I’m young enough for common core math. I went to school when math was math.
    I don’t know what the heck it was though, cause looking at it now, I don’t know what I did. It’s not far enough off to be dangerous or anything, but still, I must have been day dreaming when I wrote it originally.

Deepwoodsbutcher the original plan was to do that on a meatgistics app and make it only available on the app, to encourage people to use the app. We’ll want it quick enough though, it will be easier to just out on the site for now. App later.

• Regular Contributors Veteran Canning Team Blue Power User Sous Vide

Austin one problem for me is if its only on the app is I use my computer most of the time. Only time I use my phone is when I am not at home. Bigger screen is so much easier to see.

• Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

processhead I have used it several times. I simply weigh the amount of brine I will need, relative to the amount of cold water I will need to cover the turkey, mix it up till completely liquified, & place the turkey in one of my brining barrels & submerge for a few days before rinsing, patting dry, adding any additional spices desired, & smoking at 225/250 for the appropriate time. When I inject, I typically use the exact same liquid that I just mixed for the brine, but I still submerge & brine as in my opinion, it is the brine that produces the great results. I have been known to deuce it up a bit with things like muscadine wine, cider, etc. vs water, ounce for ounce. It always turns out great for immediate family & a few crowds. I try not to use anything much bigger than about a 12 pound buzzard, but in a pinch I have used some 20 pound buzzards on occasion when I could not get what I wanted. They all always turned out great. This is a good brine mix, just follow the instructions for weight of brine to water or liquid. You will be impressed with yourself.

• Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

processhead I am going to have to go back & look at it. I still have a few bags in the pantry. I do not remember there being two sets of instructions on the bag.

calldoctoday said in Waltons Complete Turkey Cure Question:

processhead I am going to have to go back & look at it. I still have a few bags in the pantry. I do not remember there being two sets of instructions on the bag.

The product packaging only has one brief set of directions.

My question about conflicting instructions were for the directions on Meatgistics.
    b3d93e08-f045-4133-bc55-fec5649a19ba-20220323_060827.jpg

• Sous Vide

The 10% of a10% pump means you inject 10% of the weight of the meat block into the meat not the concentration of the solution. Your mix calculations are to get enough nitrate in the solution so that it gets the right amount of nitrate in the meat. Has nothing to do with 10%.

Nicolai said in Waltons Complete Turkey Cure Question:

The 10% of a10% pump means you inject 10% of the weight of the meat block into the meat not the concentration of the solution. Your mix calculations are to get enough nitrate in the solution so that it gets the right amount of nitrate in the meat. Has nothing to do with 10%.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the difference you mention.
    The issue I was trying to explain is an entirely different one.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics