• Getting ready to make some fresh sausage this weekend and I’m going to try adding maple sugar, was just wondering how much other people add to get the maple flavor.

• Regular Contributors Team Orange Sous Vide

I mean it all depends on if you just want a subtle flavor of maple to a sweeeeet flavor of maple.

• ryan yoder I have not used maple sugar this way, however, I made some maple blueberry sausage and shared it around at work. My boss liked it so much he started to offer it to some of our regular clients. I used a pint of pure maple syrup to 12.5#s (so about 2 pints or 4 cups, to a 25# batch). This is a very maple forward sausage and the blueberries help balance the sweetness. It should be noted that with this much sugar content, it is necessary to cook them slowly with lower heat then usual or they will burn. My syrup was also homemade. It was light amber colored and thinner then most commonly available syrups. This is just my suggestion as a place to start. Adjust it to your own tastes.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Traeger Power User Veteran Sous Vide Canning

ryan yoder The maple sugar will give you a subtle flavor, I add real maple flavoring in addition to the sugar to kick up the maple taste. If you add too much sugar your sausage will become really sweet and unless that is what you are trying to get as well you will probably want to add flavoring as well. I find the sugar doesn’t quite add enough flavor and ends up more like a maple brown sugar flavor rather than straight maple. How much to add also depends on how much sausage you are making and what you are using as far as seasonings, pre-packaged vs. homemade.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics