Sous vide great to reheat sausage with smear issue

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors

There are a ton of great posts on this site about using sous vide to finish meat sticks etc. I would never have tried it or even considered it without all the great posts. But the more I read here, the more I find myself using it just for daily cooking, especially just tossing vacuum sealed sausages from freezer right into the water. And I’ve found there are some benefits I don’t remember seeing mentioned, I thought I would post.

I made 3 sausage batches of 12 lbs each one night, different flavors. I tried to put grinder and mixer into fridge between batches, but by the 3rd batch… well, I think my meat and fat got smeared a bit compared to the first 2 grinds. This was before I had stuffer using the 1hp#22 grinder to stuff, so cold farce and metal was critical. It was a venison pork brat that I used cure and smoked, german brat spices like a Hunter brat maybe. Anyways, when I cook them, I get a lot of fat-out frying them up in pan to heat thru and get some brown. Like 30% weight loss, all juice going into pan. However, if I just toss the vacuum sealed bag into sous vide and keep temp at 140ish to reheat, there is almost zero fat-out, and I can even toss for 1 min in hot CI pan for color. So the SV is also great for recovering from production errors, lol, though I know most of you probably don’t run into this smeared grind fat out too often 😉

It is surprising how few people are using sous vide, like general families I mean. I had 4 families over today, none of them had heard of sous vide yet. I happened to be heating up some Italian sausage I made, in my sous vide, and was able to make a really nice visual demo of at least one of it’s benefits. The sausages were really plump in the sous vide, just perfect. I took them out and hit a hot pan super quick to get some brown on them, no fat or juice loss at all. I then fried one up straight from the fridge, and it lost a lot more fat, juice, and size. Not bad on the Italian, but noticeably less plump. They were all pretty impressed how that 165f water could improve the juiciness of the meat.

So anyways, thx for all the great SV info, just passing a bit more field results on 😉

• Yearling

I also just bought the Sous Vide to finish sausages, now I cook my chicken breast no need to brine anymore pork chops, have also cooked sausage in the sous vide. No mess easy clean up love it thank you meat heads for turning me on to the Sous Vide.

• Regular Contributors Team Orange Sous Vide

Yep, I have been using mine for about 3 years now. It really seems people who use cooking as a hobby rather than I know I have to eat to live, know about the SV. Having a perfectly cooked steak every time is highly underrated.

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt Veteran

Don’t have a sous vide yet but I have been heating up sausage in vacuum sealed bags for many years now, with a big pot on the stove. Also put pulled pork, brisket and ribs in serving size vacuum bags after smoking and just throw them in the pot to heat up, works great.

• Team Blue Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Military Veterans Power User Regular Contributors

bocephus i like you just bought a sous vide last year, but in the past have used a pot of boiling water on the stove top it have always had great success in reheating bbq.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User

Dave in AZ great information thanks for passing this along 👍

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics