• I having a dilemma about which electrical stuffer to purchase - 20 lb vs 30 lb. What is everyone’s thoughts as most seasoning packets are 25lbs so the 30 lb is the winner but doesn’t the larger volume put more pressure on the motor?

It isn’t a big deal to fill the 20lb canister with what meat is leftover as I’m coming from a 10lb.

Thoughts?

• Regular Contributors Power User

In general, I usually think about how much sausage, and how often I am going to be making sausage to help determine the choice of of the equipment.
    Available storage space for equipment and cost is also a consideration for many people. The time it takes to wash down larger equipment is also something to think about.

For me it is also helpful to think about where you spend most of your time while you are processing and how equipment size affects the overall time it takes for sausage project. Filling a smaller stuffer twice doesn’t add a lot of extra time to the overall task of stuffing casings and a small stuffer doesn’t stuff any faster than a large one does.

• I have a 20 pound electric I’m happy with, not a big deal to refill, gives me the opportunity to add some cheese and jalapeños to half the batch. Never used a 30lb. Just wish it was a Waltons…. Good luck

• Power User

Do you tend to do mostly 25# batches? If so, the 30 could be nice. As pointed out already, cleaning larger equipment (especially if you don’t have a large sink) can be more tedious. I wouldn’t find having to refill a smaller stuffer a big deal personally, unless you do much more then 100# or so at a time. If I was going to have only one stuffer, I’d probably go with the 20. For the times you want to make smaller batches, you save yourself a little bit of work in clean up. You’ll probably be happy with either option. I have a manual 30# and picked up a 5# on Craigslist for when I want to do small/ test batches.

• Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt PK100

MAD KK Here is my 2 cents … I find that with most stuffers, even if they say 7,11,15,20,30 pounds, can they actually hold that much…if you add high temp cheese to a 25 pound meat block will that fit in a 30 pound stuffer…thats maybe a question for Jonathon or Austin…if not though, you are still going to have to refill the 30# once, same as if you had the 20#…anyways, having said all that, I usually only make 12.5# batches so I preordered the 20#

• Dry Cured Sausage

I usually make two 12 1/2 lb batches of sausage at a time. So I have a 20 lb stuffer.

• Team Orange

I have a 20# electric. Starting with a 25# meat block, adding cheese, water, Sure Gel or Carrot fiber, I always seem to end up right about 32-34 pounds. That makes for two refills, and give me a break between batches. From what I’ve seen of 30# stuffers, they look to just be taller, not wider around. As long as it’s not larger around, the stress on the motor should be the same, but the motor will be running a 50% higher duty cycle than a 20# stuffer.

• I also use a 20# electric. It doesn’t hold 20 lbs, more accurately about 18. Same with my manual 5#. It holds 4. The extra time and room needed to clean a 30# size, plus to store the extra height, would be something to consider too. If I’m doing a larger batch, I usually split it (25-30 lb meat block). I don’t think I would use the 30# that much to justify the extra room/cleaning hassle. If you do large batches often, that may be your huckleberry.

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User

MAD KK those electric stuffers looked very nice. I watched a video they made talking about them. One thing to consider is if you do small snack sticks. I think they said it didn’t press thru the smaller feed tubes, and they were going to limit the smallest size tube for it… I can’t recall, but maybe 13mm tube or larger is what I’m thinking? Anyways Jonathan mentions it in the vid, might have been their recent podcast. But if you do a lot of 19mm and smaller casings, probably worth looking into and considering. I might end up getting a 7lb or so one specifically intended for 10mm stuffing tubes, unsure which that is, and then use a larger electric for all else?
    Edit… john says 13mm or larger below which I couldn’t remember, added that, thx!

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Traeger Power User Veteran Sous Vide Canning

Dave in AZ They said the smallest was 13mm, that is what is turning me away from them, I use a lot of 16 mm casings with my 7 lb. manual stuffer with no problems and little effort to stuff. I was really thinking of pre-ordering one until this came up. Electric would be nice for me being the one man show, but with limitations on size, I’ll stay manual and keep playing all the instruments.

• Team Orange

13mm is about the smallest I’ve stuffed with. I think you could go smaller with additional water. The other thing I’ve found is that on smaller sticks, I have to turn the speed down quite a bit or I’ll pop the breaker. I wish my (not Walton’s) brand had an ammeter to show just how much torque the motor was pushing. I might have to wire something up.

• Regular Contributors Power User

D Halverson said in Electric Stuffer:

13mm is about the smallest I’ve stuffed with. I think you could go smaller with additional water. The other thing I’ve found is that on smaller sticks, I have to turn the speed down quite a bit or I’ll pop the breaker. I wish my (not Walton’s) brand had an ammeter to show just how much torque the motor was pushing. I might have to wire something up.

If you are really interested in the amp draw, you might look into a Killawatt.
    They will tell you the amp draw and watt consumption in real time.

ccd9f039-73fe-44ab-9b87-e9fa4b84c33d-image.png

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner Veteran

processhead Totally agree, the Kill A Watt is a fantastic device for the price

• Yearling

Anyone have insight whether the preorder sale price will run until they start shipping or if I need to look at locking price in before it’s gone?

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User

hall on the video I saw, they said this price would be as good as you’ll get, that they did all they could for this price basically. I can’t recall exact wording but basically this is a good price.

I couldn’t find the spot they talked about it, it is after 18min at least, but here at 16min mark they talk about the 20 and 30 lb elec and Jonathon talks about tube sizes, where he does say he successfully uses 13mm tube to do 19mm casings, there is a trick he said but didn’t describe. But it sounds like 19mm casings are doable with it if you know his trick to getting them on tube.

https://meatgistics.waltons.com/topic/5307/meatgistics-podcast-just-a-spoonful

• Thanks everyone for the input. I pre-ordered the 20lb model.

• Power User

MAD KK I think you’ll enjoy it. Now just the waiting.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics