Zombie Apocalypse Jerky? Extended Shelf Life?

• Regular Contributors Power User

One thing you can do to improve shelf life after processing is to vacuum seal smaller packages of jerky before putting them in storage.
    Curing and drying will make it pretty much biologically stable, however you may still have mold and oxidation (rancidity) if it is simply stored in bulk.
    Vacuum sealing will help inhibit both mold and oxidation.
    Vacuum sealing requires a little planning since once you break the seal, you have lost the preservative/protection, thus the reason behind dividing the batch into smaller vacuum sealed packages.

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt Regular Contributors Veteran New Mexico

Hellbent Welcome aboard, great site with a lot of people willing to help.

• Regular Contributors

Hellbent if you think about the original jerky: it was heavily salted, heavily smoked, and very dry. do not use any liquid marinade. all dry seasonings. Lean it out, salt and smoke the HECK (happy Jonathon, no swear jar) out of it. when you fold it there should be some tearing along the fold

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt Regular Contributors Veteran New Mexico

Jonathon I am hoping they can figure this stuff out and stop the spread.

• Wow thank you all for the great replies! That helps tremendously as those are excellent points and good links.

Jonathan - thanks for the link I knew I’d seen it somewhere on the site but just couldn’t find it. I would eat raw steaks with you but would throw them on a fire for two seconds each side to get the grill marks. I like grill marks…

Kyle - thanks man yeah you guys have been awesome

Dave - I will have to check out those videos. Biltong is a thing I’ve been wanting to work on for awhile now. We have a bunch of South African dudes here working for the grain elevators and big farms. I need to get lessons from them while they’re here.

Process head - you’re spot on with the vacuum sealing. I didn’t think about mold and all that great point and it would make it convenient to put in an emergency kit like for a car or take hiking or hunting.

Bocephus - thanks I’m sure glad I finally joined

Departing contestant -. I think you’re right about doing only dry seasonings and long smoke or dry times. you make an excellent point about back in the day. How did they do it and what did they know or do that maybe we don’t know nowadays. There is a lot to be learned from old timers

• Team Orange Power User Veteran Wisconsin

Hellbent said in Zombie Apocalypse Jerky? Extended Shelf Life?:

Wow thank you all for the great replies! That helps tremendously as those are excellent points and good links.

Jonathan - thanks for the link I knew I’d seen it somewhere on the site but just couldn’t find it. I would eat raw steaks with you but would throw them on a fire for two seconds each side to get the grill marks. I like grill marks…

Kyle - thanks man yeah you guys have been awesome

Dave - I will have to check out those videos. Biltong is a thing I’ve been wanting to work on for awhile now. We have a bunch of South African dudes here working for the grain elevators and big farms. I need to get lessons from them while they’re here.

Process head - you’re spot on with the vacuum sealing. I didn’t think about mold and all that great point and it would make it convenient to put in an emergency kit like for a car or take hiking or hunting.

Bocephus - thanks I’m sure glad I finally joined

Departing contestant -. I think you’re right about doing only dry seasonings and long smoke or dry times. you make an excellent point about back in the day. How did they do it and what did they know or do that maybe we don’t know nowadays. There is a lot to be learned from old timers

Welcome. You’ll get a lot of good info here.

If you want to reference someone as you just did. Try this.
    Use the @ symbol. If the name doesn’t pop up your looking for, start typing the name and you’ll get some hits.

Good luck, and thanks for being here.

• Team Orange Power User Veteran Wisconsin

Hellbent
    Just that easy.😊

• Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

Hellbent Welcome aboard & welcome to the neighborhood. Keep on asking questions & making suggestions, Participation is amazing.

• Team Blue Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User Sous Vide Oklahoma

Hellbent welcome and good luck with your survivel jerky.

• Team Blue Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Military Veterans Power User Regular Contributors

Welcome, for really shelf stable meat products jerky is not the answer. Dried beef and canned meats are more shelf stable than traditional jerky, but for the real deal pemmican would be a better solution. MRE’s do not hold up really well unless kept in perfect conditions thus when you see the inspection date on the MRE package that is under ideal conditions. Yes I have tested them under real world conditions and while still sorta eatable the color, taste, and texture was severely degraded outside of those perfect storage conditions. As processhead stated mold can also be a problem so look into potassium sorbate to inhibit that growth for long term storage and oxygen absorbers.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics