What meat do you make your Snack Sticks or Summer Sausage with?

• Team Blue

In the past I’ve always made my snack sticks and summer sausage with one of the following

All beef (chuck)
    Beef with pork fat (lean beef with 25% pork back fat)
    A 50-50 mix of beef and pork

As you can see the common denominator in the snack sticks or summer sausage I’ve made in the past is beef. With the rise in beef prices I’m considering using all pork. Has anyone used all pork and if you have how do they compared to the product you’ve made with beef or partially made with beef. How much of a change in taste and texture is there? Thanks

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner Veteran

John Belvedere My grocery, Dillon’s/Kroger now sells “bork” 1/2 ground beef 1/2 ground pork at an 80/20 fat ratio. I think it makes as good as summer sausage as I have ever done.
    I have also made 100% pork SS which is also very good
    To my taste the same spice mixture works in both

• Regular Contributors Power User

Since I usually have a lot of venison in the freezer, I am always looking for ways to use it.
    The deer sticks we make are traditionally 80 venison 20 beef fat. Since we lost our source of beef fat this year we may be switching to pork.
    Summer sausage is usually 50 venison and 40 pork butt and 10 pork fat.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Traeger Power User Sous Vide Canning Washington

I make snack sticks with 100% pork 80/20 grind, I also do straight beef snack sticks too, depending on what I am making. I don’t blend pork and beef for any of the snack sticks, I have added pork to my summer sausage to increase the fat ratio and create a better texture.

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User Arizona

I make most snack sticks from venison and pork fat or brisket fat.

I have made 100% pork kabanosy sticks, they were excellent too.

• Team Blue

I would love to make it with venison but since I’m not a hunter (pretty hard when you live on Long Island) and I don’t have access to any. That’s the reason I’m curious about an all pork product.

• I use 20 lbs beef and 5 lbs pork
    ( pork belly) for mine. I usually have extra hamburger when we get ready to butcher but are usually out of pork.

• Iowa Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Green Mountain Grill Power User

Snack Sticks is either all beef or all deer
    Summer Sausage is 4 parts of deer or beef to 1 part pork shoulder and if I add cheese to it would be 1 part as well

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User Arizona

John Belvedere
    John, take a look at the all pork kabanosy then. I think I posted a thread on making them, so have a few others. Stanley Marianski says they are the best snack sticks in the world. I thought they were excellent too. Here is the basic recipe. I’m posting because he replictes this online at his meatandsausages website, but my book was closer. I highly recommend these, this is 100% what I would make without venison.

Kabanosy is a famous Polish sausage and probably the finest meat stick in the world. The name Kabanosy comes from the nickname “kabanek” given to a young fat pig no more than 120 kg (264 lbs.) that was fed mainly potatoes in the Eastern parts of XIX Poland. Meat Metric US
    pork 1000 g 2.20 lbs.
    Ingredients per 1000 g (1 kg) of meat:
    salt 18 g 3 tsp
    Cure #1 2.5 g ½ tsp
    pepper 2.0 g 1 tsp
    sugar 1.0 g 1/5 tsp
    nutmeg 1.0 g ½ tsp
    caraway 1.0 g ½ tsp
    water 100 ml ⅜ cup

Instructions: 1. Grind lean pork with ⅜” plate, fatter pieces with 3/16” plate. 2. Mix ground meat and all ingredients together until the mass feels sticky. 3. Stuff mixture into 22-26 mm sheep casings. Link sausage into 60-70 cm (24-27”) links so when hung on a smoking stick the individual links (half of the meat stick) will be about one foot long. Don’t cut stuffed sausage into short individual links, leave it linked, but as one long rope. 4. Hang on smoke sticks in a cool place at 35-42º F (2-6º C) for 12 hours. It is permitted to dry it at room temperature for 30-60 min and then smoke it. 5. Kabanosy are smoked in two stages: smoking with hot smoke 104-122º F (40-50º C) for 50-60 min baking for about 20 min at 140-190º F (60-90º C) until the meat reaches a temperature of 155-160º F (69-71º C) inside. The color of the casings should be dark brown. Total smoking and cooking time about 70 - 90 min. This is a rather short time due to the small diameter of the meat sticks. The sausage is done and ready to eat. 6. Shower with cold water, separate into links and keep refrigerated. The following step (6) was performed in the past to create semi-dry sausages that would last long time at room temperatures. Place Kabanosy for 5-7 days in a room at 54-59º F (12-15º C), relative humidity of 75-80%, until the weight is reduced by 45%. If during this drying period you will see a slight accumulation of mold on the outside surface just wipe it off, this is normal. Separate links into individual pieces and keep it in a cool place, no need to refrigerate. In Europe the sausages hang in the kitchen and are consumed on an as needed basis. Most people prefer them when they are about one week old. If you have made a lot of them, place them in a freezer but remember that unfrozen products, though still healthy, never taste the same.

• Team Blue Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Military Veterans Power User Regular Contributors

I 2nd the Kabanosy recipe, but I do add accent. The meat really depends on what you have and the desired end product. Kabanosy is all pork and is tried and true, but other recipes I’ll use what I have or what is on sale, but I typically use brisket as beef and boston butt because of the fat content and it usually is the most economical.

• processhead I use the same 50% venison 40% pork and 10% beef fat with both my beef sticks and summer sausage.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics