Thoughts on the Louisiana Vertical Smoker

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

I put together and used the Black Series, Vertical smoker, from Louisiana Grills this week and I have some thoughts I thought I’d share with you guys.
    1st Great build quality, seriously heavy-duty build
    2nd Goes all the way up to 420° (but actually 450) fairly easily
    3rd the control panel is well designed and easy to use
    4th 65 lb hopper means we can do long smokes with it

However, if you are wanting a vertical smoker to do snack stick or hang hams or bacon in you are going to run into some problems. The top rack sits about 4 inches down from the top of the unit and there is nothing to hang from. So, you would lose about 8 inches of hanging space and you would need to get smoke sticks as this doesn’t come with anything to hang from.

Another issue is /was the app. When I downloaded it I had issues connecting through Bluetooth, it would drop out, not connect and the controls wouldn’t work. HOWEVER this morning I got the WIFI hooked up and that made a huge difference. I have the smoker going on our back patio and I am sitting at my desk it is monitoring it without any issue and I can change the temp no problem from up here. The app has a terrible rating on the Google Play store and I think that is based on the Blue Tooth connectivity, not WIFI because with WIFI it seems to erase all the issues I was having the other day.

So, if you want a vertical smoker to do things OTHER than hanging stuff from smoke sticks I think this can be a nice addition to an outdoor kitchen or a garage smoker. However, if you want to do snack sticks, or hang bacon or hams I don’t think this is going to be the best option for you.

Summer sausage should be alright since we have more control over how that hangs with the string.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

One other thing, just like the camp chef vertical the back wall tends to get hotter than any other wall. This seems pretty standard but I am surprised there is not a better fire-wall between the smoke box/heat source and the back wall since that is where the pellets are stored.

• Regular Contributors Power User

What is the minimum temperature it will regulate the temperature to?
    This is what the sausage and cured meat processors will want to know.

• Sous Vide

Appears identical to the Pitboss Copper which is less than half the price at Lowes. I made a wooden dowel system with a few small blocks of wood and dowels that slide onto the top rack positions. allows me to hang 44" sticks draped in half over the dowels…15 lbs easy on 2 dowels…

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics