• Wisconsin Team Orange Regular Contributors

The closest I have come is lightly smoked jowl bacon. Mainly because I don’t yet have a curing chamber set-up. But this is on the bucket list.

I will say that the jowl bacon compared to belly bacon from the same animal and using the same ingredients ,the jowl was far superior in taste and texture.

Because of the sticking of the animal, I did not get as good of a yield from the jowl on the other side so I took the cheek muscle and that muscle on its own was comparable in texture and flavor to the best beef filet mignon I’ve ever had. (This was 3 yr old American Guinea Hog sow)

All that to say that if you get your hands on a fresh pork jowl, I am confident you will not be disappointed with how ever you use it.

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User Arizona

Ridley Acres that was quite interesting, thanks!

• Yearling

Look at Hank Shaw’s blog Honest-food.net

• Pivodog The 2Guys Hebrew National Copy Cat recipe looks like a good one. Mine is similar but I omit the sugar and added Paprika and Hot Red Pepper. Chuds’s also doesn’t look bad except he’s missing celery seed and mace.

https://twoguysandacooler.com/hebrew-national-all-beef-franks-copy-cat-recipe/

so looking at some steps for guanciale and other cured delights, it seems like it might be beneficial to have 2 curing chambers. One for tempering the product until it is ready for the long term cure and the other set for the long term cures. I’m curious what the @Dry-Cured-Sausage pros think about this.

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User Arizona

Not 100% what you’re asking, so will do my best job covering 0, 1, or 2 chambers?

Indaswamp over at smokingmeatfor ums does that with 2 chambers for drying at different humidity, just to get a speed boost during 1st week.
    You really can do it with 1 drying place or 2 cool places, several ways.
    However… I think you are just talking about 2 separate things, curing and drying? The cure is often done in a bag inside fridge for a week or more, you just need low temp to allow salt and cure penetration time without spoilage. We are talking about whole muscle here where you need to keep salt and nitrite around meat, not salami where it is mixed in.

The 2nd part is drying, not really curing…
    I would think of it as a Drying chamber, not a Curing chamber, because it is setting you up to think of the chamber and process in a wrong way. You need to think of them as a controlled humidity and temp place that will let the meat DRY out slow enough that it doesn’t form a hard outer rim, so 70-80% humidity. The cure has already happened to meat, now you’re just drying it to safe Water Activity levels. If the drying will take more than 15 days or so, you have nitrAte from cure#2 there to slowly convert to nitrite and thense to nitric oxide to keep meat protected from some pathogens. Temps are still low to keep pathogens from growing during the dry. However, the bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrite don’t work well at fridge temps so we keep it at 50 to 55 to keep them active.
    Additional flavor is generated by other bacteria that remain active 50-55f. But it’s not curing, just flavor development as a by product to achieving safe Aw levels.

Some folks dry in a normal fridge which has very low humidity, but use dry aging wraps or umai bags to drastically slow down drying and moisture loss so they don’t dry too quickly and get hard-ring. It is always mentioned you can do this as a way to ease equipment, but little discussion is then made about the reduced nitrAte conversion or reduced flavor development. So that would be just 1 chamber. Some folks in correct climate can just dry in basement, so no chamber.

I have found when doing whole muscle things (capocolla, dried tenderloins, bressaola) that curing in vacuum seal bag in fridge worked well. Then I transfer to a drying chamber made per Eric instructions at 2guysandacooler with his recommendations for controllers and humidifier and dehumidifier.

Anyway, hope that helps! I should be working 😉

Dave in AZ YES! that does help make more sense of it, having cure area, then move to controlled drying environment. I am planning to do more salami than whole muscle meats. But guanciale and lardo are on my bucket list if I can get a chamber built before our next pork harvest.

• Team Blue Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Military Veterans Power User Regular Contributors

Ridley Acres Dave is on point with his explanation, and I will add that the temp and humidity requirements have 5 degrees +/- variation more or less, so you do have a bit of flexibility. Also, some have a separate a fermentation chamber and others do it in their oven with the light on. I use a seed mat in a cooler with a temp controller and wrap the salami/pepperoni or other meat being fermented in plastic wrap to maintain humidity and it works every time without fail. I put Kabanosy in my dry chamber for 7-10 days and that aging takes the stick to another level flavor.

mrobisr Ridley Acres to ferment, I just leave meat wrapped in cling film on counter. House is 76f, works for some cultures. Then I have an area with its own airco set at 80f for kids. Lastly, much of time it is 95 to 110 here outside, and inside my smoker in shade holds good temp. So one of those 3 temps always works for me. I have tspx, LHP, and F-LC so far. The LHP is for hot fast ferments. The FLC has a range, used it inside. Haven’t used the tspx, it is Italian style salami. But will probably get Taste of Italy if I want to make Southern European salamis, and use that instead. It is I think in the same family as flc, where it gives additional protection against listeria, and so I think is superior to tspx now.

I like the FLC for meatsticks and to acidify Taylor Pork Roll. But I’m working on using Encapsulated LACTIC acid for a direct chemicla acidification, with a more correct tang than citric, ECA. (I’m awaiting a sample of Meatshure 509 encapsulated Lactic Acid, from Balchem chemicals right now! Been using a 60/40 ELA/ECA blend I found at SpokaneSpices).

• Team Blue Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Military Veterans Power User Regular Contributors

Dave in AZ said in Guanciale, Have you made it?:

Taste of Italy

That is my go-to since it has the bio protection added.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics