• I have two bags (3.59 lbs. ea.) of Colorado spice jerky seasoning left over from last year. I don’t need any more jerky. Can I use it to make summer sausage or maybe a brine for curing deer hams? Just looking for a way to use it up. Any suggestions and advice on what additional products I need would be helpful.

• Wisconsin Team Orange Regular Contributors

termite said in Extra jerky seasoning:

I don’t need any more jerky

words I never thought anyone would ever say

• Military Veterans Sous Vide Canning Traeger Regular Contributors Power User Arizona

termite you could use it for something, but I would use it for snacksticks myself. The value in a jerky mix is that it tastes good with partly dried meat… if you don’t want to just keep it for jerky, I’d say the next best thing to make with it is snacksticks. Many seasoning mixes are intended for both jerky and snacksticks.

Jerky seasoning is pretty much salt and spices. So we’re talking a bag of 70% or more salt probably.
    The spices probably don’t match the profile for summer sausage too well…which has a defined flavor to be called that. Ingredients list says: salt, sugar, mustard seed and garlic powder will make great jerky. So it’s not too far off from summer sausage, and maybe garlic and mustard seed would be an ok ham brine?

Here’s the thing: the 3.59 lb bag is for Colorado Spicy Jerky, with or without MSG. Costs $34 and does 100 lbs of meat… so like $400 or more of meat. But the actual cost for you to mix up the salt, sugar, and spices to EXACTLY match what you want for summer sausage or ham is like $6. Premade spice mixes are great if they match what you’re after, but expensive if you’re just using them for the salt and sugar to get close to something. If it was me, I wouldn’t risk $400 of meat over $6 of spices in some unknown experiment… and you have 2 bags, so thats $800 or more meat. Just keep the jerky mix, and spring $12 to $15 bucks for the exact spices you really want 😉

P.s. if you reeally want to just use it up, a ham brine… meat picks up little flavor from the brine, so mustard and garlic would be ok. You won’t know the salt or sugar content, so a bit hit or miss on making a ham. You could do a taste ladder with known amounts of salt in a cup of water vs the spice mix, until you estimate it, or assume it is 60% salt and 30% sugar maybe. Good luck!

• Team Blue

Dave said a mouthful there, I see myself in the mirror as wanting to save at the real cost of the meat I could be disappointed with later. Well put Dave!

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics