Pork to venison ratio- summer sausage

• Washington Canning

Denny O to me, in my limited amount of math education 😁 the fat percent is already figured out. So you have 80/20 venison, 70/30 pork. You have two different numbers, to get the average, you would divide, by two. That’s where my 2 comes from. Now if I had 50lbs. Of lean meat, and needed to figure out how much fat to put in to it, to make it a 80/20 mix, that would be a different equation. But I already know what % of fat I’m dealing with. I’m dealing with 20% and 30%. So to get my average fat %, I would add those 2 numbers together, and divide by 2. Now If I wanted to know how much fat to put in 50lbs. Of lean meat to make it a 80/20 mix, I would just ask google because it’s just a lot easier for me😁

• Iowa Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Green Mountain Grill Power User

salmonmaster You don’t need to remember, Jon has you covered.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User Kansas

Denny O 1st, appologies to all my math teachers who I have made comments on in the last 10 years cause they always said you wont have a calculator everywhere you go!
    Well, turns out there is more to math than just a calculator!

When most people say they are doing a 50/50 they are talking about 50% deer and 50% pork butt. If they were doing what you were thinking (and maybe some are) a 50/50 with 50% being deer and 50% being pork that is half lean and half fat (too many 50s so I decided to go half and half) then you would be at 25% which would be perfect. Break it into 1/4s, both 1/4 of the deer is lean, 1/4 of the pork is lean and 1/4 is fat, 25%. By my math at least and man I HOPE I am not wrong on that!

If someone did 50/50 with just deer and pork butt (which I think is how it is most commonly done) then we have 30% of 1/2 the meat as fat. Spread that 30% over the rest of the meat and we have 15% total. If I am wrong on that I will eat the one chip challenge myself!

• salmonmaster I used 4 Cups of water to mix my cure and spices, I did let it dry overnight after stuffing, maybe I should have shortened that time as well

• I also cooked the sausage in my oven at 185 for 6 hrs + 2hrs at 195 to bring the internal temp to 152, then into the ice bath. still learning

• Washington Canning

paulsje what I’ve been using is half pork butt so 50%, and half venison so 50%. But my venison is already ground with 20% beef fat. So your 16 pounds of venison, and 9 pounds of pork butt would be very lean, especially if it’s just straight venison, with no fat added. You would want at least a 50/50 mixture of pork butt and straight venison, and preferably more. At least 20% fat is what your really shooting for, in my opinion. Another thing is, what I was told was venison is a dry meat, the more venison, the more water. I was using the same amount of water as you are, 32oz. Per 25 lbs. Now I put in 45oz. Per 25 pounds and it’s a lot better. One more thing is, if you want juicy meat, use a binder. It makes your sausage a lot more moist. The sure gel meat binder that waltons sells works great. You’d really be surprised in the difference between binder and no binder. A lot more juicier with the binder. And remember if you are not useing a cure accelerater, like citric acid, you have to let it sit overnight in refer. Before cooking for the cure to do it’s job. Hope this gives you a little help. Just keep reading and asking questions from everybody, it’ll get better.

• salmonmaster Thank you for the tips, and I wish I’d found this blog before I made the sausage. I did use a binder (1 C) in my mix, so it’s good to know that I can put a little more water. I was trying to accomplish a more lean version of sausage, but I see the error in my ways. I use straight Venison so from these posts I do see that more fat would have worked better. I did not use citric acid because I was not sure what is is for, good to know, I did give the sausage 24 hrs to cure before stuffing. It’s edible just not great! Thanks again. The next batch will be much better with all of these great suggestions.

• Washington Canning

paulsje just keep on reading, and asking. It gets better. Sometimes small changes can make a big difference. To see what the citric, or smooth acid, which I prefer, does for taste, go to store and buy some of that sliced pepperoni. When you taste it, you’ll notice the tang, or the little bit of citric pucker that you get from it. To me, it’s kinda what makes cured sausage of any kind, taste like sausage .

• Iowa Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Green Mountain Grill Power User

Jonathon I agree with the 25% fat content in your middle paragraph, But I disagree with your last analogy of 15%.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User Kansas

Denny O Half is deer so 0 fat in that, the other half is 30% fat, so we take that fat and add when we mix it with the deer, so that is adding the other 50% of lean meat to it, cutting the fat content in half, making it 15%.

We just had a meeting of the media department and did this on the whiteboard. Austin walked through and we think we have a way to show what our math is on a video. Probably we are talking past each other, and sometimes a visual representation will show it better than I can say it. I am making summer sausage next week for the next video of the 3 waltons trying summer sausage with different % of cheese in it and determining which is “best”. Patrick and I are going to shoot a bit of that to show this.

• Jonathon processhead

Well, the results are in. At least from an opinion standpoint. I was able to get with a local grocery store and get some straight pork fat. I took what you guys said and ended up following the recipe of 50% lean deer, 35% pork butt, and 15% pork fat. I have to say, for my first try it couldn’t have turned out any better. The texture and taste is perfect for my liking. Smoked to internal temp of 156°, took about 5 1/2 hours after stairstepping temperature.

So far, it has been a hit with everyone that has tried it. I will probably continue to follow this in the future! After all if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it!

Thanks for all the helpful input.

• Regular Contributors Power User Bowl Choppers

tbum19 That’s great! Glad it worked out to your liking.

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt Regular Contributors Veteran New Mexico Sous Vide

tbum19 Glad it worked out for you, and your right if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Wait there is something to say about trying different seasonings.

• Washington Canning

tbum19 good job!

salmonmaster said in Pork to venison ratio- summer sausage:

Denny O I really didn’t think you were picking me out, I know what you mean. I’ve seen a few that where a little confusing too. I’m no mathematician, believe me, but this is the way I figure it out
    20230119_093618.jpg
    To me, lean meat is lean meat. But say you have 3 different meats, and the fat contents were all different, say 20%, 35%, and 25%. You would take the three numbers, add them together, and divide by 3 to get your fat average which would be 26.6%. Don’t know if I’m doing it right, but I would really like to know.

You have to find a common denominator when reducing fractions. The fraction is lean over fat. And even when you divide both by 2 and you get 75/25. that too can still be reduced by dividing 75 by 25 and get 3 parts lean to one part fat. 33.3% fat.

Every time when someone chimes in the deer (and its fat to lean) changes AND the pork (fat to lean) changes.

The assume this, is in invalid when the argument is about what the final lean to fat ratio answer is the question.

• Washington Canning

Denny O this is how I figure it out. The 75% is 75% of 100%. The 25% is 25% of 100%. So if we have 100lbs. Of meat, 75 pounds is lean meat, 25lbs. Is fat. So if I added the 25lbs. Of fat to the 75 lbs. Of lean, I’ll have 100lbs.

Suggested Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltons.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today. We have created Meagistics University, where we broke down meat processing into different categories and then broke it down into a class like structure. The introductory classes are 10s, the intermediate are 20s, and advanced are 30s.

About Walton's

Walton's Inc. sells meat processing equipment and supplies, including all of the Seasoning, Equipment, Supplies, Packaging, and Casings needed to make almost any type of sausage. Walton's sells to the commercial customer with a focus on the small to medium-sized processing plants or butcher shops, and directly to the hunter or processor who makes their own product at home. Whether you are a commercial or retail customer of Walton's you will be receiving the exact same seasoning and supplies, we do not have a different "line" for commercial and retail customers so that everyone can make the best sausage or jerky possible!

Community Statistics

Users

Topics