Jon, I tried to answer your questions about the hot dogs. This page isn’t totally user friendly for a blind person that uses speech and braill to access computers. So to recap;
- I used about a pint or so of water, approximately 1.5 to 1.8 ounces carrot fiber, a bit less than half of the seasoning pack, and cellulos casing.
- I stuffed the casings and tried to twist. The twists came undone when I cut the hot dogs to the length I wanted.
- I followed the reccomended smoking schedule.
- I got the internal temp up to 136 but it didn’t go higher. Could be my thermometer. I am going to try a blue tooth thermometer next time if I can get it to work with voice over on the iphone.
- When the temp wouldn’t rise I eventually removed the hot dogs from the smoker. WHen I went to place them on a pan, the meat came out of the casing. The texture was dry and crumbly.
in conclusion I have a few questions.
- Why did the temp not rise or did it and my thermometer not pick it up?
- Why did the casing not stay swisted and closed?
- Since the casing didn’t stay closed could this be the reason the product was dry?
- Should I use a different casing like collagen?
I’d really like to find a good thermometer that works with blue tooth and voice over on an iphone but don’t have the money to keep buying them to try them out.
Sorry for the long post it’s really different for a person who has no sight because I can’t be sure that the thermometer was working properly, I can’t tell you what the product looked like. Thanks for patience and understanding and trying to assist.